Today I was sitting on the couch over at Sarah's house, watching "Enchanted" (a princess movie, for those of you Disney-movie-challenged neanderthals who don't know) with my niece Haley and her friend Ellie. Ellie walked up to me, wide-eyed, holding hands with Haley in that adorable way that little girls do when they play together.
"Mary?" she said, "can everyone grow up to be a princess?"
"Of course!" I enthusiastically replied. (Every little girl should know that it's a possibility)
"But you have to have real good manners, don't you," she stated, rather than asked.
"That's right, Ellie. You have to say please, and thank you, excuse me, bless you and you're welcome."
They nodded at my wisdom and looked at me expectantly, waiting for more instructions as to the good manners of princesses. You know - because that's my specialty.
"um...oh! And princesses can't toot, either," I added.
Haley looked at me and said, (very sincerely, I might add)
"and that's why you're not a princess, huh, Mary?"
(pause while I catch my breath and wipe my eyes following several minutes of hysterical laughing from me)
I think this would be a perfect post for you all to leave a funny some-kid-said-this story in my comments. They really, really make my day!
love, mary
"Mary?" she said, "can everyone grow up to be a princess?"
"Of course!" I enthusiastically replied. (Every little girl should know that it's a possibility)
"But you have to have real good manners, don't you," she stated, rather than asked.
"That's right, Ellie. You have to say please, and thank you, excuse me, bless you and you're welcome."
They nodded at my wisdom and looked at me expectantly, waiting for more instructions as to the good manners of princesses. You know - because that's my specialty.
"um...oh! And princesses can't toot, either," I added.
Haley looked at me and said, (very sincerely, I might add)
"and that's why you're not a princess, huh, Mary?"
(pause while I catch my breath and wipe my eyes following several minutes of hysterical laughing from me)
I think this would be a perfect post for you all to leave a funny some-kid-said-this story in my comments. They really, really make my day!
love, mary
5 comments:
I have to say...I was wondering about you and the whole not being a princess thing!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Ok, so while you were pregnant, one of our lovely nephews asked when your baby was coming. I told him he was coming in the summertime, thinking that it was totally cute that he was so excited to have another cousin to play with.
Then he asked me when MY baby was coming. Fabulous.
A couple nights ago we were laying in bed with Colby and he wanted to play a guessing game. He wanted to whisper something in Chris' ear and I had to guess what it was. Somehow he started whispering "toot tacos." He was cracking up so hard whenever he tried to whisper it again he couldn't even get a word out. Don't know why anything about toots is so funny, but it just is!
HAHA! I'm so glad you posted that!
My favorite personal experience was when I was a teenager and my cousin, who was probably 4 or 5, asked me what "those red dots all over" my face were. How do you explain zits?
Post a Comment