Monday, June 1, 2009

Police Academy Primary Party

I've been promising the 11-12 year-old kids that we teach at church a party for about 3 months. Unfortunately, Paul didn't have any weekends off for about 6 weeks, and then we had to cancel our first scheduled one due to - some sort of bike accident? Oh wait, ya, this thing:


Well, Paul is now feeling better, is back to work, and with a little physical therapy will be good as new (minus a huge lump on his shoulder that looks pretty painful but isn't) in a couple of months. So, we fulfilled our party promise and had a Police Academy themed party for our kids on the 22nd. I made Top Secret Invites:



A certain person I know hooked me up with some great decor (yes, the neighbors did ask me later what the heck happened):



To start, we made tinfoil badges, which I didn't get pictures of because I was making dessert. Then we headed outside for our Physical Training (PT) Obstacle Course. First they had to recite one of the first 4 articles of faith (what they had to memorize to earn the party). Then, on to the grass drills


Then through the playground tunnel, down the slide and roll down the hill. Grab the fancy dollar store shot gun and take out my sexily-clad mannequin:


Finally, subdue (read, yell instructions to) and cuff a suspect.


The kids liked the cuffs a lot, I'm glad no one called the sheriff for child abuse or something haha

While we waited for our pizza the kids practiced pulling fingerprints. We printed mirrors, then used sandpaper and pencils to put graphite dust over the prints, blew away the excess and pulled the prints off with packing tape. It was a big hit!


Next came pizza, soda and some homemade donuts - that's right, Homemade. Donuts. They were awesome! (and so am I) :D


Finally, we made body outlines wearing that certain someone's copper gear and guessed which ones were which. Unfortunately, we forgot to write the answers down somewhere so there were no winners! hahaha, but we did have a great time and some reeeally funny moments playing twister in the meantime.




This is my favorite shot: notice Cody's head right there underneath Sam's backside! haha

Sammy of course tried to get in on the action


We had a great time at our party, if you're interested in the ideas, I basically got them from familyfun.com under "spy party" and just tweaked them to be police. We have great kids in our class that we really enjoy, I can't wait for the next one!

love, mary

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh you are so fun, I bet they had a great time!

Mers said...

Donuts at a copy party... GENIUS! :)

Heidi said...

Wow. That is DEDICATION. You guys are pretty much the most awesome primary teachers ever! I so want to be in your primary class.

Maren B said...

Wow. You just wowed me. You're gonna be one of those fun moms that other moms want to be like. Not fair.

Marci and Kenny said...

You have always loved a party with a theme!!! Cami and I had some decent attempts but you definately showed us how to do it.