Thursday, March 4, 2010

My 25th Birthday!

I just turned 25! Yep, a quarter of a century, as my nephews so kindly pointed out. 25 has always seemed like a fun and exciting age to me, and I'm looking forward to it.

3 days before the big day, we got sick. Really sick. 102 degree fever sick. It was not fun. We armed ourselves with antibiotics and clear fluids, though, and by Friday afternoon (day before) we were past the contagious part of things, anyway, and got all of our birthday food shopping done.

Saturday was dark and stormy and full of torrential rain, and it was such a great, great day for a birthday! I've never had it rain on my birthday before. Snow, yes. Dismal dried-up-early winter, yes. Last year was even sunny and green. I like the rain - really rounded off the experience for me. :)

My day started off with a cute little boy bringing me a cute little card (after which there was snuggling):

Paul wrote up this cute breakfast menu with some of the items in Sammy's words (see "appe Juuu" :) ) and a sweet message on the back

I went for the Paul McMuffin and some milk. Delicious!
Proof: he CAN cook! You're all witnesses!

Afterward I was awarded the entire morning to myself, and I indulged in a lot of general lazing about and organizing the monstrous mess that was my crafts closet (I've been itching to do that!) while I caught up on some "trash tv", as my brother calls it - dumb reality shows which I LOVE. :) It was fabulous.

Then we went and picked up my newly tailored jeans and I put on the cute new shirt my mom sent to me. Love new clothes on my birthday! Lunch was my choice, so of course we trekked down to the Cheesecake Factory. No pictures, but the lemon raspberry cheesecake was amazing!

The Eddys came over for dinner and games that night, we had so much fun! Paul cooked AGAIN (doubling the number of times he's done so in our marriage in one day, wow!) and it was beyond words delectable. Carne asada, black beans, lime rice, homemade corn tortillas and Chris made his amazing homemade guacamole to top it off. We gorged ourselves and washed it down with the greatest beverage on the planet: Inca Kola! Yes, I know it looks like urine...but it tastes like heaven. Here's some pictures of the spread:


The Eddy's do this funny thing when Sam is around where we all burst into spontaneous applause, and he thinks it is the funniest thing ever. This picture doesn't do it justice, he was dying!

I can't even tell you how delicious it was. Paul is so on the hook for cooking that all the time now.

After dinner the adults busted out one of my favorite games, Loaded Questions.


My favorite part of this round this -

Question: What are you thankful you're not doing right now?

Answers:
a) waking up in Elmo's world wearing a banana hammock (look it up)
b) sitting on the big potty at church, out of paper
c) Starting elementary school over
d) Climbing out of a port-a-potty after an unfortunate fall

...which also gives you insight to the humor of my family (sorry mom - you're the exception, of course). My gut and cheeks hurt, and Chris was full-blown crying, we were laughing so hard. I had to record it to read on a bad day sometime.

Meanwhile, the little kids were having the time of their lives taking turns riding in Sam's dump truck (sorry downstairs neighbors).

and other various toys (he really loves that shopping cart!)

The boys all endulged in these gross watermelon suckers covered with chili powder (ya, that's right. Chili powder. On a watermelon sucker. Gross.) that they love. Haley tried it and asked them to take off the chili haha, I just think this is a funny picture of her.

After games it was cake time, courtesy of Porto's, of course
and PRESENTS! I got totally spoiled this year! Money and her signature funny card from my aunt Barbara with instructions that it's JUST for me,

Grey's season 2 from Leah (ah, how I miss Burke!)
This fun spring outfit from mom and dad (complete with hilarious card). What? Color? In my closet? wow!


And an ice cream sandwich maker and fabulous sewing book from the Eddys (you know I can't wait to get started on some of those sewing projects!! And the sandwich maker is so making an appearance at my next party),

(no, I will not be making that ugly dress on the front...sorry to disappoint)


and lots and lots of happy birthday wishes from all my friends and family.

It was such a great day! Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you for making me feel so special! Thumbs way, way up to being 25!

love, mary

2 comments:

Aim Aug said...

I can't believe you are 25! That makes me old...of course it makes your sisters even older...so I guess I'm down with that. Happy Birthday! BTW, your blog background matches the curtains in my office. Love them!

Emily said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm glad it was such a fab day! you deserve the best! (Man i want a bite of that cake right now!!! and i wouldn't mind stealing your new outfit either....) ;)