Monday, July 27, 2009

July Life

Here's some stuff from our day-to-day so far this month.

Firstly, because it's the most boring, here's one of my projects that I did the other day. Rissa, I'll be honest, you started me on recycling. I admit I've never really recycled before living here, but I decided it's time to start (especially since California charges a recycling fee for every plastic bottle you buy and the only way to get it back is to recycle :) ). Here's my sad little tabletop ironing board that I've had for a year or so now. Charred baby food stain, among general dinginess and grossness.




I decided to re-cover it myself and saved $10 while recycling the board! What a responsible citizen I am, eh? :) (thanks for the fabric, moms!) I especially loved how the manufacturer couldn't even take the veneer to the edge haha. I only had one funky spot at the top where I cut off too much excess fabric too early.


I saw this travel neck pillow on one of my favorite blogs and decided to make one for Sam. Unfortunately, I completely bogged it up and didn't make the long parts round and stuffed enough, so instead of looking like a horseshoe it looks like a "U" and offers NO support.

So I came up with a way to make it work. It works, but he looks like he's got a fancy boa constrictor around his neck, haha.

Sam and I went to the park the other day and found this baseball on the field. After a round of Lysol, it's his new favorite toy.

A few days later we went to the park again and there happened to be a baseball game going on. He was transfixed! What am I going to do if he gets into sports?? I couldn't tell you the rules of ANY sport to save my life. :)

For those of you with kids, I HIGHLY recommend getting the Iphone, if possible. Our contract with AT&T was up a few weeks ago, so we got iphones and sold our old phones on craigslist, so we only had to pay tax, woohoo!! It is SO handy when Sam is fussy in the car or something, we just put on Baby Einstein on YouTube and he's good. I love the look on his face when he's concentrating. :)

Another fussfix in the car is taking him out and letting him "drive" in the parking lot. :) A fun diversion for dads, too!

Ah, an important landmark in any child's life - his first mac-n-cheese. He loved it so much, when I pulled the tray off of the high chair to take him out he grabbed at the spilled noodles on his shorts and crammed as many of them into his mouth as he could before I snatched him out, haha.

One day he was laughing his little chipmunk laugh and balling up his hands, he sounded like some crazed cartoon minion, hahaha. I didn't get a good picture of the effect, but it's cute anyway.

While we're on a high chair roll...
Sam doesn't just eat his food. He STUFFS HIS FACE, every single time he eats. We've tried training him otherwise, but he doesn't understand yet and just gets really upset, so we'll have to try again later. For now, I watch him closely to make sure he doesn't choke and laugh my head off as he tries to chew with half a sandwich stuck in his mouth. This picture doesn't even do it justice, it looks way too tame.

One of his new tricks is "fishy", where he sucks his cheeks in to make a fish face. It's super cute but really hard to catch on camera. (ps, what's up with his HAIR in this picture? I'm getting bowl cut flashbacks from the 90's, and that cowlick certainly isn't doing it any favors...)

Cutie
One day we joined our friends Charity & Gracie at Scooter's Jungle, a place that has a bunch of huge blow-up toys, like a slide and a bouncy house. Sam just didn't know what to do with himself in the bouncy house, and could take or leave the slide, but sure loved the baby toys - several of which we have at home, haha.

Gracie is just SO cute - look at those huge baby blues!!

We had our friends Mindy and Dylan over the other day and they were both LOVING Baby Einstein

Sam has learned how to open our heavy kitchen cabinet doors, yay! Haha, I came across him the other day after he'd gotten a hold of a sugarfree grape crystal light packet and chewed through the foil on top. Mmmm, delicious!

He had Goth Lips for the rest of the night, despite my efforts to clean him up. Forget Team Edward, I'm rooting for Team Sammy.

Came across my goofy husband fantasizing of bedoming a chippy (CHP) at a street vendor the other day...


And here are some videos for your viewing pleasure:

Sammy dancing, which he does a lot nowadays




Driving with Daddy in the parking lot - who's having more fun?



The other ones aren't working right now, so I'll post them later.

love, mary

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is so cute when he is dancing!! And look at you go Eco Mom.

Marissa Waddell said...

Yesssss, a recycling convert. The neck pillow is HILARIOUS.

Emily said...

Im so impressed with your craftiness!!! And he is ADORABLE!