Saturday, October 17, 2009

DIY Project #1!

This project sat in my head, stewing, for probably two months before I finally put my hand to it. I love the idea of redoing the furniture/decor that we already have and making it totally new. I'm obsessed with before & after pictures on blogs that I read. Jumping into the world of "do-it-yourselfer" was a little intimidating, though, and I kept putting it off. I finally decided that if I was ever going to do it, our Staycation would be the perfect time.

We inherited this beauty of an entertainment center from my sister and her family after they found the entertainment center that dreams are made of in the Penny Saver for an outrageously low price - oh, and they just threw in their TV for free. I know - I was super jealous, too. I guess you get cool blessings like that when you're the bishop. :) It was a great upgrade for us, I was excited to have something where Sam couldn't get to the TV and tip it over, and you just can't beat free. (excuse the random pictures - I failed to get an official "before" picture and these are the only ones I've got with the old finish on it, from when we first moved in here).


And here's what our freebie looks like now - Ta-da!

Awesome, right?! I am so happy with the way that it came out. I decided to forgo the doors that had been on the top half, since we never used them anyway...and perhaps also because one of them totally fell apart when I took them off, haha. I replaced the hardware, too, because somehow "rustic brass" was just not the look I was shooting for here. :) I still want to put beadboard on the back of the cabinet, but that's going to have to wait for now. Hopefully in a week or two I can get that on there.

I love that the little table fit perfectly in there. I originally bought it for our balcony but there were too many kids in that tub with the table and the dogs. I realize that it doesn't exactly scream living room furniture, but for now it's working for me. I also need something to put in the middle of the cabinet, on top - any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe a planter with some more plants in it, but Paul really hates my plants (barbarian) so I don't know.

Ready for the total? (this is the best part!)
Entertainment Center - Free!
Sandpaper - $3.96
Tack Cloth (to pick up the sawdust) - $3.56
2 sample cans Sherwin-Williams tricorn black paint - $10.98
Paint Tray - $1.97
Hardware - $12.96
Total - $33.43!

I'll admit that I had hoped for it to be a little cheaper (I was trying to just spray paint the old hardware silver but that was a huge dramatic flop, and I hadn't expected that I'd have to buy another can of sample paint), but I'll take it!

Paul's putting the finishing touches on our new wagon tonight, so hopefully I'll have those pictures up this weekend. It's looking great so far!

love, mary

5 comments:

Marissa Waddell said...

It looks awesome! We bought a cheap table last week that is "antique" stained, and I'm just not digging the antique. I totally want to paint it black. I llooooove DIY and I need to find time to do it!

Nicole said...

It looks great!

AJ said...

Sadly I am going to have to agree with Paul. I don't like the plants. :) I say get rid of them and put a family picture on top of the entertainment center.

Emily said...

HURRAY!!! It looks awesome!!! I absolutely love it. Don't you hate how expensive good hardware is!?! So overpriced!

The Woodwards said...

Oooh! I love it! It looks fabulous. Can you come do a thing or two of mine now? :)