Ok so we have had possibly the busiest month of our lives this past month, and we have so much to share!! I have a zillions posts in the pipeline (seriously - like 11) and they're all going to be awesome. So read them! And then leave a comment! haha I talked to several people in the past week or two who said that they totally lurk around my blog but never leave a comment! Well, the more you comment, the more I feel like people actually read this and the more I will post. :) So let's get to it!!
First off, I have to share my beautiful new-old couch! We inherited this little beauty from a family in Sarah's ward who was moving and just didn't want to take the trouble to take it with them. Don't ask my how they kept it clean - within about 2 weeks of us having it, off-white had turned into a shade of General Dinge. Yuck. I took this picture after starting my couch makeover, so I can't even give you the full effect of the Yuck. No built-in sofa bed is worth that in your living room.
I shopped around for slipcovers for sectionals - did you know they don't make those? What the? And those that do? Well you could buy a new freaking couch for that! Not an option. I read on some random crafty blog that you can get 2 slipcovers and put one on each side of your couch and it would work basically the same as a normal slipcover.
I forgot that a normal slipcover is ugly. U-G-L-Y.
First off, I have to share my beautiful new-old couch! We inherited this little beauty from a family in Sarah's ward who was moving and just didn't want to take the trouble to take it with them. Don't ask my how they kept it clean - within about 2 weeks of us having it, off-white had turned into a shade of General Dinge. Yuck. I took this picture after starting my couch makeover, so I can't even give you the full effect of the Yuck. No built-in sofa bed is worth that in your living room.
I forgot that a normal slipcover is ugly. U-G-L-Y.
It sagged. It drooped. The irregular side had a funky elastic bunching right in the middle of the back. It literally made me lose sleep. Yep, OCD kicked in within minutes of putting this baby on my Natural Dinge sofa. It had to change. I mean, look at it.
The problem was, snipping a $60 piece of fabric is pretty nerve-racking. I've never done anything furniture-related as far as sewing goes, and it gave me anxiety to take that first big Snip. Once I started, though, I never looked back. I took a staple gun to the frame of the couch, tightening as I went and hiding the staples under the cushions. You couldn't put this puppy in the center of a room, because the back of it has this uber-ghetto line of silver across it, but since ours sits against the wall, it's working just fine.
Then I started in on the cushions - that one-size-fits-all sleeve the slipcover came with was awful. I probably threw away a good 2 or 3 feet of fabric at the end of it.
I pinned, clipped, snipped, sewed, unpicked, re-sewed and sewed some more for longer than I ever would have thought this would take me, haha. I would never love anyone enough to do that again, it took FOREVER! But (drumroll please)...
Doesn't it look a million times better?? I bask in its beauty. I yell out "doesn't this look so good?! " every time I sit on it. This will continue for months - I have to justify those hours working on it, right? :)
Oh! And I made new pillows. I love them. Paul was less than pleased with the "girliness" of the green, but he's just a smelly man, what does he know? They're marvelous.
ok, you can now proceed to tell me what an awesome homemaker I am. Go ahead, don't be shy - my head can't get any bigger, anyway. :)
love, mary
10 comments:
even though you asked for this compliment comment, I am gonna give it to ya anysways... that really really does look amazing!!! Looks like a brand new couch. Big pat on the back for you!!
oh my gosh! It looks AMAZING!!! Good for you. Love the pillows.
(i found your blog through Aubreys--had to leave a comment because I don't want to be a blog stalker!)
That's incredible! It looks amazing..no shock, you are AMAZING! I love the blue and green and brown...that must be why I did those colors in my living room! Great minds, eh...
Holy crap!! That looks amazing!
(Look I left a comment!)
That looks great, I'm way impressed.
I hope that one day I can be as crafty as you!!
You already know I lurk :)
I am SO impressed with your slipcover skills. And your frame-collaging skills.
it is amazing what a little bit of color can do to something- i love it- great job :)
LOVE IT! Seriously?!?! That is incredible, it DOES look Glorious!!!
You deserve at least another few months of people noticing how great it looks every time they walk into your house. I am WAY impressed.
Post a Comment